Wednesday, October 24, 2007

"That girl is a running fool!"

Okay, this is kind of old news, but since it ranks amongst my greatest life's accomplishments, (along with my college degree and getting some poor sucker to marry me) I thought I should share. This summer, my friend, neighbor and fellow ward member Alison Chan asked if I would be interested in doing a running program with her.

Let me back up. I have never been a runner. I couldn't run a mile in Jr. High if my frizzy fro was on fire. I couldn't run a half mile, quarter mile...a lap. I couldn't run to the mail box.

But I was lonely, still fighting pregnancy weight, and defiantly needing a project, so I said yes. Alison found this program online called "Couch Potato to 5K" and we set the goal to run our first 5K by Thanksgiving.

I am not going to lie. It was tough. And there was no way I could have done it without Alison's help. Some particularly difficult milestones were running 3 straight minutes, our 4th of July run in 95 degree weather, running 8 miles straight, running 20 minutes straight, and coming back after a two week break to complete my first 30 minute run (I'll never forget this run. It was 6:30 am, the wind was howling, and when we were about half way done I looked at Alison and said, "I hate running". She laughed and said "Me too.")

But all the hard work paid off, and on September 29th, Alison and I ran the Kennewick Washington Annual Grape Crush Rush invitational. We finished 21 out of 28 women, but the point is we finished. As we ran into the finishing area, I started to tear up and I thanked Alison for this experience. Shane, Hank, a big group of Shane's family, and some ward members were there to cheer us at the finish line. It was a great moment.





6 comments:

Seth Price said...

Holy Crap!!!!! Good thing you put a picture on here or I wouldn't have believed it. Wait, are you sure you're running or are you just in the back of a truck as it's driving and in a running pose? Hmmmm, I may need more evidence. Seriously though, that's awesome Megan. It's been a goal of mine to run a 5K for the last 3 years and I still haven't done it. Now I HAVE to do it or you'll put me to shame. lol!!! Thanks for the inspiration! We miss you guys!

Stephanie said...

That is awesome Megan! What an accomplishment! Congrats!

Allison said...

Yea, you pretty much rock!

My Three Sons said...

You are awesome! I know how rewarding it is to accomplish something like this! Maybe next spring we should do a half marathon? Thank you for your supportive comment! We'll be home tonight, hooray! Hope to see you soon!

The Bloxham Bunch said...

Cool another blogger buddy. I bumped into yours when I was commenting on Nicoles blog. That is awesome about yours and Allisons race. That is such an accomplishment. Maybe someday for me. I'm still on the one mile races with my kids.
Marianne

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you. The last time I think I ran was when Hank tried to punch out Gibson. Basically I run for survival purposes! (smiley face, dot, dot dot, rose...)