Sunday, August 24, 2008

Revisiting the "Wonder Years"


So there I was blogging and stumbled upon some friends blogs from my home town of Moreno Valley. If I didn't feel all grown up before, seeing the girls I remember with husbands and three kids, just about made me grab some tapioca and call it a night at 7:30.


Do you ever have a most random dream about someone from High School that you never even remembered existed before they showed up in your REM cycle?


It's a reminder to me that they are still there. The whole dang breakfast club that you loved, despised, envied, avoided, admired, pined after, are all still there in your psyche and on your blog.


I have always said that I am glad that I moved away from Mo Val, never having to have an awkward conversation with someone from HS whose name I can't remember, asking me if I still love the Beatles and keep in contact with Traci (yes and heck yes).


But I admit that I actually clapped my hands with joy when I found Janea, who led me to Melissa and Ben. Those fellow freaks and geeks who didn't know me from work or a play date (sorry pete), they knew me when I was the McLaughlin girl with big hair who made up funny songs on the guitar and ruled girls camp with my Three-pac skits (get it? Like Tupac? Whatever, it was hilarious at the time).


Strange when the girl you were collides with who you are now. It makes me realize that when I left the old RC, I packed way too light. I took Traci and left everyone else. Lori Pitts, Graham Marsh, Julie Kaio, Ramon Trujillo, Edward Aquilo, Enrique whats-his-face, Meghann Pricer, Leann Purity, Alexis Blackstone... the list goes on. Awesome people who made high school bearable and to whom I owe gratitude.


Who knows? Maybe I show up in their dreams.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to have you back in the blogging world!

You did have quite an interesting following!

I love you girl.

Mom

Steve, Lynn & Brian said...

What a great post. Made me laugh and cry and remember my own list of freaks and geeks. I loved you then and am thrilled with who you are now.

You rock babe.

melissa gargalis said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! I totally laughed out loud-my husband thinks I'm crazy I'm sure, if only he knew YOU!!! j/k. I am so glad you said hi. I always wonder how all the old friends are doing. You are still hilarious as ever, I read a little of your blog. I will check in on you occasionally. I should totally post pictures of you from Girls camp-lucky for you my scanner is not working. =)

You are the greatest. I am so glad to hear how happy and in love you are. You are probably an awesome mom. I can only imagine what home life most be like with you, never ending laughter I'm sure.

Miss you and so glad to have known you. You made that time of my life so much more enjoyable. Ben said he talked to Julie Kaio a while back. I have her phone number if you want it, she lives in Utah.

My email is gregnmelissa@hotmail.com

So freakin' awesome to hear from you. Thank you for the laugh and making me remember how much fun I had with you and Julie.

Love,-Melissa the ghetto beast used-to-be Rogers. Keep in touch.

rogersfam said...

Hi there! That's so dang funny. We're in the middle of moving and I had to come by our old place and use the internet cause we don't have it hooked up in our new place...long story. Anyways...what were you doing looking for Johnny? I haven't seen him for a long time. I know his brother Craig is out here in Provo somewheres.
Love your house and hydrangea.

Take care!
Ben Rogers -- benjamierogers@aol.com

rogersfam said...

Hi there! That's so dang funny. We're in the middle of moving and I had to come by our old place and use the internet cause we don't have it hooked up in our new place...long story. Anyways...what were you doing looking for Johnny? I haven't seen him for a long time. I know his brother Craig is out here in Provo somewheres.
Love your house and hydrangea.

Take care!
Ben Rogers -- benjamierogers@aol.com

rogersfam said...

Hi there! That's so dang funny. We're in the middle of moving and I had to come by our old place and use the internet cause we don't have it hooked up in our new place...long story. Anyways...what were you doing looking for Johnny? I haven't seen him for a long time. I know his brother Craig is out here in Provo somewheres.
Love your house and hydrangea.

Take care!
Ben Rogers -- benjamierogers@aol.com

yennu said...

Hey Ben we get it - no need to post three in a row!!!! =) Hilarious, I can see how a twenty or maybe a thirty year high school reunion will be one special day. To relive all of the grand memories of yester year.

craigandlissa said...

Megan it seems you've forgotten that one very late night at girls camp you offerred up your first born child as a bribe and I'm pretty sure I still have that in writing. . . LOL. . .Melissa was so excited to find you on her blog. Since we have 5 grandkids I guess I will pass on the bribe due to the undying love and friendship my kids and I have for you and of course, for the sake of your Mom!(please give her my love)Hank is too darling. Your blog is such a fun glimpse of our Moreno Valley Megan that changed the face of girls camp talent night forever!
Love ya to pieces!!! Lissa R.

Derek and Emily said...

Three-pac is my very first memory of you... that was before I even knew Derek. And ye, it was freakin' hilarious!

jayne said...

I'd be more than happy to tell you how I stumbled across your blog but I think I'd have to hit the back arrow at least a dozen times because I'm not entirely sure how I got here. I was bummed to see that I didn't make your list of people who made high school bearable. After crying myself to sleep for 2 weeks straight, (even though you added the post 4 days ago,) I decided that I had to contact you. After all, you were with me when I got my first speeding ticket, and we also enjoyed many rides from seminary to school, (when my piece of junk car wasn't working,) in Tim/Tracie's white Buick that still smelled like the pizzas Tim had delivered the night before.

I'm glad to see you and your family are doing well. My wife and I are "shady like that," so we don't have our blog available to the public. Email me at mgallbee@hotmail.com if you'd like an invite.

Best wishes,

Mike Allbee

P.S. I don't remember Enrique's last name either.