Sunday, January 20, 2008

"Godspeed, little man....Sweet dreams, little man"

Shane is out of town for the next week so it was up to me to get all the Sunday night tasks completed. Feed Hank, change diapers, say prayers and take him to bed. About 25 minutes after alls quiet lights out, I hear my baby screaming. I run to his room and pull him out of his crib and held him as he cried inconsolably for about 15 minutes. It was obvious to me that he had a nightmare (so sad that 1 year-olds have bad dreams!). I held him until he settled down, then we sat on the couch together where he just held to me as tight as he could. It actually turned out to be such a sweet moment because my boy is usually far too busy for cuddles. Often I get a quick hug before he is off on his adventures, so I treasure those times where he slows down and we just sit together. I sang to him, and we talked about how dreams are such happy things to have, and all the different places we can go when we dream. It was all very Walton's but I loved it.

The experience reminded me once again, what an awesome responsibility it is to be a parent. A few days ago I posted about my parents making everything alright, and now it is my job to do the same for my boy. As he held onto me tonight for dear life, he fully expected that I would make everything alright, and that the world would be a little less scary if we were holding on together. What incredible trust they have in us! What an honor!

It's a small thing, and something I probably would have forgotten if I hadn't written it down. But a good reminder when he is a teenager and Karma gets me back for being such a tool to my parents. I'll remember the night when my boy needed me and I could actually fix it. "This isn't our problem...this is our gift."

4 comments:

hatch said...

Oh poor Hank, he did have a tramatic day with his mean uncle Dan who drew first blood! That could give anyone nightmares.
Dan felt so bad btw.

I loved this post. Very well said.

Lee said...

I hated it when my kids had nightmares so young. My kids got night terrors, and always when Randy was gone. I like your thoughts on being the parent.

Stephanie said...

Poor guy!!! He is so lucky that you were able to go to him with an understanding heart.

Anonymous said...

Lucky Henry- a wonderful pattern is being developed in his mind and his heart because of what happens in his home. He knows that he is loved and that he is safe when he is with those entrusted with his care. Thank you for loving him as you do.