Friday, June 6, 2008

Home Improvements

To the delight and relief of our neighbors, we finally got down and dirty with some home improvement projects (thank you economic stimulus package!). We decided to enclose the fence, (thus completing Hank's prison yard...he might as well get used to it now). We had several contractors bid the job, but Shane decided in the end that he and his dad could do the job and save some cash. They of course did an amazing job, and the best part is that Bruce worked for cheeseburgers!



With the money we saved we decided to get some curbing in our front yard. That's right, just like the Jefferson's, the Johnson's are 'a movin on up! Artistic Curbing came out and did a fantastic job, (if anyone wants the number let me know).

Finally, the part I have been waiting for, the plants. Luckily I married a farmer, because I was literally asking questions like, "So I just water around the dirt at the bottom, right?" and "So you're 100% sure that if we give these plants water, fertilizer and sunlight they will just grow on their own?" I'm a regular green thumb.

Before:



After: Shane built me these beautiful planter boxes which we stained to match the fence. I cant wait to see everything grow!




Here is my favorite thing (to the very far right), a Blushing Bride Hydrangea bush. I named it Alfie after my great-grandpa who I have heard was an avid gardener. Grow Alfie, grow like the wind!!

2 comments:

Steve, Lynn & Brian said...

totally cool! it's the first time I've seen the outside of your home. It's lovely. Very scary how yard work can become addictive. I've gotten back into this year, so our yard is no longer the neighborhood embarrassment. I have not, however, taken to naming my plants. Hmmmm. Great Grandpa Beagley would be so proud!!!

The Bloxham Bunch said...

Shane now officially has a new name "HANDY MANNY" (he just needs to be a little more hispanic) I love the flower boxes. They caught my eye the other day when I stopped over. I love fixin up the yard----hate anything to do with fixin the inside though