Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Nutcracker Sweet



While Shane was out last night, Hank and I were cuddling on the couch. I noticed that PBS was showing a performance of "The Nutcracker". I turned it on, thinking Hank would give me 30 seconds before wanting Mr. Rogers instead. I was wrong. My son sat in abject (and silent) wonder, watching the show. He barely moved a muscle until the moment where the full size Nutcracker jumps out of the magic box. Hank jumps out of my arms, and literally starts imitating all the dance moves. I kid you not-he was marching, leaping, swinging his arms back and forth. He even tried a few double axles (none landed successfully). His face was of total focused concentration. It was hysterical. Shane came in a few minutes later so I rewound the show to the same part, with the same results.

I don't know what was funnier. Hank's moves, or Shane's obvious concern hiding behind a plastered on smile. Luckily, Shane was quickly able to think of a past Heisman Trophy winner who also danced ballet.


To be honest, if I knew my boy was destined to be a dancer, I don't know that I would have named him Hank. Maybe Hans, or Demetri or Meredith.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure you remember that your aunts and I began our dance career with the Nutcracker as well. It's a good omen! You go Hans!

Nana/Mom

Anonymous said...

Hank can dance if He wants to
He can leave his friends behind
Cause his friends don’t dance
And if they don’t dance
well they're no friends of mine

The Bloxham Bunch said...

Ditto Ditto Anonymous. I must see these sweet moves of the Hankmyster.

Bethany said...

You must videotape this and send me a copy. And please let the closing shot be the distressed look on Shane's face. Priceless.

Steve, Lynn & Brian said...

Stinkin' funny! My wish for Hank is that he'll be blessed with more talent OR less enthusiasm for dance than the Beagley Sisters.

The Johnson's said...

Lynn,
If by that you mean he wont pee his pants during a performance, no guarantees.