Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"He knows a name, a glorious name..."

2 months ago as Shane was leaving for work, Hank followed him to the door and said, "Daddy", his first word. It was so cute and I didnt mind at all that he wasnt in a hurry to same my name. But like I said, it's been 2 months. I guess 22 hours of labor doesnt earn you the respect it used to.
So Saturday the three of us were vegging on the couch and Hank was babbling away. Shane points to himself and says "Daddy" then points to me and says "Momma". Hank considers this for a moment, then looks me dead in the eyes and shyly says, "ma-ma". It wasnt babbling, it was a total acknowledgment. My heart just about jumped out of my chest.

A small thing, but a great moment.

7 comments:

Bethany said...

WOO-HOO! Without even knowing it, he has now contracted himself to feed you applesauce in your final years. It's a lock!

Lee said...

That is like the best moment! And I swear all kids say Dada first. What gives?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It is a wonderful, sweet moment. One that you should remember when in later years, you become "Mooooooooom" with a slight disgust in his voice!

The Beagleys said...

I just have to say, your son is soooooo adorable! Congrats on a wonderful moment in your life...getting to hear "mama"! Hope all is well with you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Now I can't wait til he puts a "gram" in front of those wonderful words!!--Grandma J

Anonymous said...

How precious! It is almost as sweet as when Madison looks dead into my eyes, then procedes to grab my jugular, and screams obscene words that I didn't know a 3 year old could utter...
Oh, the simple things in a mothers life.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!

That is such a sweet moment.

Mine says momomo only if he is really upset about something.

What he says right now is ba-ba-ba, everything is Ba-ba-ba to him.

He says pa-pa, which is daddy in Italian, but it could be pappa which means baby food in Italian. :)

But he is only 7 months :)

When he is mad at me, for example when he doesn't want me to dress him he yells nonna, he calls grandma for help :)