Friday, April 25, 2008

Battle of the Bulge

Recently, Shane and I decided that it was time to stop messing around, and to start exercising and eating right. This decision is in large part due to the fact that we are going to Hawaii in January with Shane's work, and we don't want to scare people away with our massive amounts of pale chubs. (It's seriously wrong how white I am...I am one fanny pack and two hairy legs away from being a Euro...)

So having learned in the last few years that my husband is a gambling freak, and will do almost anything if there is a wager involved (thanks Pete), I decided to challenge him to a sugar-off. This means that whoever can abstain from sugar treats the longest, wins $25 from a gift card we got at Christmas.

Then we decided to get extreme. Another $25 goes to whoever works out five days a week the longest. That's right folks, a full $50 of dream-making cash just waiting for me.

I do have to say, I think it's really cute how Shane thinks he is going to win. Obviously he is totally underestimating my commitment to winning. He doesn't even know what he is up against. I don't just have the eye of the tiger, I have the heart of the bear that ate that tiger while he was napping. And I have the fire power of the hunter-man who shot the bear and now wears the bear-skin around his neck. And I have the crazed mania of the PETA people, who attacked the Hunter-man's house and dumped red paint all over that bear-skin cape. And I have the clinging power of that red paint when some poor dry-cleaning man tries to clean it off. And I have...well you get the point.

It's all over but the spending, Chano. You may as well give in and have that handful of M&M's you've been crying over all week.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who will be the Johnson's Biggest Loser?

Good luck!

Mom

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Bloxham Bunch said...

Meg-I'm here for you man! Just let me know when you want me to drop off one of Shanes favorite yummys. Anywayss, isn't a challenge great. It always helps to have a little motivation. Win it for the Ladies!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my sweet little lady...You have no idea how I am going to beat you. I cannot wait to hear those words from your mouth, admitting that you ate a piece of chocolate or a cookie or some other form of a sweet. If for some reason you do not give into temptation, and would like for me to pick you up a bag of sweet chocolate Peanut M&M's on my way home tonight don't feel bad, just swallow your pride and give me a call. But if I have to wait for the planets to be in alignment before your cravings come out in full force, I will be patient.

Good luck, you are going to need it.

Allison said...

Yes, you've got the eye, heart.... you ran a 5K after all! You're SO going to win. I'm with Marianne...I'm happy to drop off his most tempting treat and pretend it's all in the name of neighborly goodness.

Hawaii has some magical power, I tell ya...I'm living proof and you will be too!

yennu said...

Megan, Megan, Megan (chanting), Sorry Shane - I just know the pull chocolate has on ladies, but not on the one with the eye of the tiger! You can totally do this - piece of cake, (I mean carrot)

Lee said...

Ohh.. Megan! Good luck. You can totally do this!

Anonymous said...

for the love of....NOBODY is even giving Shane a chance. How do they expect him to compete with all Megan's cronies cheering her on? I am with you Shane. No mercy. Once she loses rub it in constantly - and don't blame me for the gambling...competition is a good thing, it is just more fun when money is involved.
-Pete

Seth Price said...

This is funny because Jess and I just started a new workout routine also. I started my Power90 program this morning and Jess started running/walking with a neighbor. We've got to get into shape before the beach trip this summer. I've totally got Shane's back though. You can do it man. Don't give in to any temptations. If it makes it easier for you, just send me any of the sugar you are thinking about eating so it's not there in front of you. I may be working out, but I'm not crazy enough to cut out the sweets. You guys are loco!!! lol. jk. Good luck to you both. Well, more Shane than Megan. (c:

Steve, Lynn & Brian said...

I'm ashamed of you, Megan. You are really over-complicating this whole thing. Just lie, man. Deny, Deny, Deny. He finds a candy wrapper in your hands: Deny it, like "it's for Henry...". He finds chocolate on your chin: Deny, "I'm just trying to tempt you, honey... 'figured there's no way you could resist chocolate and my lips at the same time"... What's he going to say to that???

You see, 25 years of marriage hasn't been wasted on old Aunt Lynn. I can see now that I still have a lot to teach you.