Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Meg's Movie Review..."Leatherheads"

I know I need a better name than that. But for the time being, this will have to suffice.


So Shane and I went to see Leatherheads this weekend. We were pretty excited about this flick, and figured we couldn't go wrong...sports, romance, comedy, Jim Halpert. Unfortunately, due to some unfocused directing and miscasting, Leatherheads didn't quite get the job done.

The biggest problem with the movie is that it doesn't know what type of comedy it wants to be. It works as a straight comedy, it works as a slap-shtick comedy, it just doesn't work as both juxtaposed together. It starts out funny enough, but then mid-way Clooney decides to ham it up with some serious shtick, then changes his mind back towards the end. I say, stay with the shtick. It worked in "Oh Brother, Where Are Thou?" and to a lesser degree in "Intolerable Cruelty", it keeps things light and never takes itself too seriously.

What is this movie trying to say? Is it a commentary on today's world of sports with too much money, evil agents, false hero's? If so, don't cast John Krasinski as your fallen hero. Realize that he is pretty much the guy everyone wants on their email distribution list, and we are going to root for him, no matter what. He's Jim Halpert, for crying out loud, champion of the "normals". He's Tom Joad with comedic timing and no criminal record. Good luck hating that guy.

I do give props for a great soundtrack (thanks Randy Newman) and art direction. It looked like a moving Norman Rockwell painting, which I loved.

There are some very funny parts in this film, enough that I do think it's worth renting, as long as your expectations are in check.

4 comments:

The Bloxham Bunch said...

Thanks for the review. I was thinking of going to this movie, now I will wait for the DVD. Now keep up the good work and go see a few more so we know what to expect :) just a reminder.....IT'S ALMOST INDY TIME!!!!

Bethany said...

I am just waiting for the three other Horsemen of the Apocalypse to show up! Megan calling a movie "A Renter"?!?! The economy in flux, food shortages, water drying up, cats and dogs living together - MASS HYSTERIA!!!

fivekidsandsomechocolate said...

We saw this too and our expectations were high. I agree with you on all fronts. Good anaysis and description. When my mom asked me how it was all I could come up with was- " Eh,it was ok, but not great."

Steve, Lynn & Brian said...

I am so there with you! Felt exactly the same way. Kind of cute, but it just couldn't decide what it wanted to be. Very forgettable... and when my Renee is in it, that breaks my heart!